[rhn-users] Ftp on ssl in RHEL 3 ES

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Wed Mar 30 15:10:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, [iso-8859-1] Fabián E. Barco wrote:

> Hi,
> is there a way to setup a ftp server on ssl in RHEL 3 ES?
>
> there is pop3s and imaps by xinetd, but I didn't see ftp on ssl

There is SSL support in the bundled vsftpd in RHEL4.  It's very new and I
suspect spotty, as upstream has released a newer version than what RHEL4
has which has SSL updates.  If you go this route, please call support and
ask for a version bump in the next available Quarterly Update (at this
point, probably Update2)

Me personally, I'm using ProFTP with SSL as it seems a bit more robust and
stable at the moment.  You need to manually download and build this,
though ProFTPD's sources include a *very* nice specfile to build packages
with.

HTH,

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free