[rhn-users] up2date

Marty Merrick MMerrick at idleaire.com
Wed May 4 15:53:39 UTC 2005

Take a look at https://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/table/ for more info
on this. Basically the way a Satellite server works is that it downloads
all the updates for what ever machines/OS's you have subscribed to it.
Your client machines are subscribed to the Satellite server, not
directly to RHN. It's one connection across the net to get all updates
vs. all your machines individually getting their own. There is a cost to
purchase the Satellite server, as well as an additional cost to
subscribe your machines to that server. Cost for the machines depends on
what modules you want, update, management, or provisioning.  The table
in the link above compares each of these as well as comparing
Architectures (Hosted, Proxy, or Satellite). Don't forget you will also
still have to pay the normal subscription fee for each machine. I
*think* that with Satellite server, Red Hat will (maybe for an extra
cost) send you CD's or DVD's of your updates as well. This is for highly
secure installations with no Internet access.

For more and better details call a RH sales rep.

Marty