[rhn-users] Unresolvable chain of dependencies:

J. Cowan james.cowan at yale.edu
Wed May 18 18:52:46 UTC 2005

Good afternoon. I have a twelve node cluster with all nodes running RH WS3
2.4.21-15.EL (x86_64). I am trying to use up2date to update these machines,
but I am running into these maddening dependency issues:

rpm-libs  4.2.3-21_nonptl                requires libelf.so.1
rpm-libs  4.2.3-21_nonptl                requires libelf.so.1(ELFUTILS_1.0)

This command:

 up2date --nox --whatprovides=libelf.so.1

Returns nothing. In any case I know that this file is exists under
/usr/lib64. I could of course force or ignore these packages, but the whole
point of buying redhat is so you can use tools like up2date to ease package
management. It is infuriating.

And before it is asked, I flushed the db cache ( rm /var/lib/rpm/__db* ) and
rebuilt the rpm db( rpm --rebuilddb ) and neither one helped. I don't want
to sound hostile, but this type of problem, along with the incredibly slow
package release pattern (like still using gcc 2.x) makes projects like
debian seem like the bleeding edge.

Anyone at all that can help me figure this out has some major positive karma
coming their way.

Thanks in advance,

J. Cowan
Programmer Analyst

Yale University School of Medicine
Core Tissue Microarray Facility
310 Cedar St., PO Box 208023
New Haven,  CT  06520-8023
ph 203-785-6532
email:  james.cowan at yale.edu

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.