[rhn-users] rsync one source + multiple destinations

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Wed May 25 01:09:47 UTC 2005

Hi Jesse!!! Thanks for replying to my post!

I agree that rsync doesn't have functionality that meet my requirements. I found --compare-dest option of rsync helpful for my prolem

In a nutshell a shell script has to be developed that will do the following [more checks have to be included: like check free space etc]

- if only dest1 is used just do simple rsync
- if dest2 is also used then do update existing files on dest1 + rsync new files to dest2 with the help of --compare-dest parameter.

While(true)
   if(!usedest2)
            - rsync source dest1
                  - if command not successful
                         usedest2=true
                     end if
   else
              -rsync --update --existing source dest1 [Assumption.. dest1 has enough free space to update existing files.. find a way to reserve
                                                                        some disk space]
              rsync --compare-dest=full/path/dest1 source dest2
  end if
end while;

I'm interested in hearing how others are solving similar problem and what others tools might help in my case!!!

Thanks again!
Raj