[rhn-users] Problems with PERC controllers on Dell 2550, etc with RHEL 4 - WORKAROUND

Greg Fortune gfortune at mail.ewu.edu
Wed May 25 19:15:35 UTC 2005

On my Dell boxes, I get a kernel panic when starting the RHEL 4 installer and
when booting the machine after a successful install.  The box hangs when
for that controller, but the aacraid driver works great.

One thing to note is that we're not fully updated on firmware so it's possible
that newer firmware might fix the problem with the aic7xxx driver.  If anyone
else has experienced this, please drop me an e-mail.

1) When installing, tell it not to detect hardware and pick aacraid when the
installers prompts for a controller driver.
2) After the install, boot into rescue mode.  (Might actually be able to make
the following changes before rebooting. Haven't tried that yet)
3) Mount your filesystems somewhere (I used /mnt/tmp)
4) chroot /mnt/tmp
5) edit /etc/modprobe.conf.  Change aic7xxx to aacraid
6) edit /etc/hotplug/blacklist.  Add aic7xxx as a single line in that file.
7) run mkinitrd to build a new initrd
8) Reboot and throw a party :)

That's it, if I'm remembering the install correctly.  If anyone wants to
expand on this, ask questions, or offer any corrections, feel free :)

Greg

--
Greg Fortune
Enterprise Systems