[rhn-users] RPC: Timed out (Problem on nfs mounting)

kanhu rauta kanhu2004 at rediffmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:50:51 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   I have a problem on nfs mounting. I have 8 clients, which are trying
to mount with in the time interval of 30 secs. But each time I got the
error message of timed out (i,e mount: RPC: Timed out). This error
occurred due to the overloaded of nfs server and this nfs server is
overloaded due to the excessive retransmission. I have not set the mount option of timeo, retrans in my /etc/fstab file. My /etc/fstab file is like this.

192.168.100.1:/home/meta/MetaDirectory        /home/meta/MetaDirectory
nfs rw,proto=udp,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,intr      0 0

I want to stop the retransmission packets, for that i have changed
the /etc/fstab like this.

192.168.100.1:/home/meta/MetaDirectory      /home/meta/MetaDirectory     nfs rw,proto=udp,timeo=40,retrans=0,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,intr      0 0

Still now i also get that retransmission packets at the nsf server.
please suggest me how to set the mount option in /etc/fstab file or any
other configuration file for nfs client so that i 'll not get the
retransmission packets.

waiting for your kind response.

regards
Kanhu