[rhn-users] 2GB file limit via mount.smbfs?

Juels, Philip PJUELS at PARTNERS.ORG
Wed Nov 23 13:57:13 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've got a RHEL v3 U6 application server that samba mounts a large filesystem
from another RHEL v3 U6 fileserver, and there are files on the fileserver that
are >2GB (typically 8gb) but the application server reports them at 18eb
(exabytes).  After some research, I've learned that there is a filesize limit of
2GB associated with mount.smbfs.

If the filesize limit is 2GB, why is it reported as 18eb?  Why doesn't it just
"top-off" at 2gb?  Since this doesn't affect my SuSE boxes (8.2 or 9.3), is this
limited to RedHat?  And, lastly, is there a fix for this within RHEL v3?

Thanks,

Philip Juels