[rhn-users] httpd/mod_authz_ldap authentication against Active Directory

Carl Riches riches at ms.washington.edu
Wed Oct 5 17:54:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Alex Roberts wrote:

> Is anyone using mod_authz_ldap to authenticate users using MS Active
> Directory?

I did some testing with this, but ended up using PHP.

> My mod_authz_ldap config is this:
>
> <IfModule mod_authz_ldap.c>
>
>   <Location /chat>
>
>           AuthName "Web Chat"
>           AuthzLDAPLogLevel debug
>           AuthzLDAPEngine on
>           AuthzLDAPSetAuthorization on
>           AuthType Basic
>           AuthzLDAPServer "lccnsxxx.americas.armstrong.com:389"
>           AuthzLDAPUserBase "dc=americas,dc=armstrong,dc=com"
>           AuthzLDAPBindDN "cn=_anonymous,cn=Users,dc=americas,dc=armstrong,dc=com"
>           AuthzLDAPBindPassword "password"
>           AuthzLDAPUserKey sAMAccountName
>           AuthzLDAPUserScope subtree
>           require valid-user
>           Order deny,allow
>
>   </Location>
> </IfModule>

I didn't change the mod_authz.conf file.  Rather I tested things by
modifying my personal .htaccess file.  It looked like this:

   #  Carl Riches web pages
   #  access control file

   # turn on SSL encription
   SSLRequireSSL

   # I want to authenticate via LDAP/Active Directory
   AuthzLDAPEngine on

   # Set the authentication type and header
   AuthName "Carl's web pages"
   AuthType Basic

   # Set the LDAP/AD authentication server
   AuthzLDAPServer tripel.mscc.washington.edu:389

   # "bind" to the LDAP directory (Windows AD) using a distinguished name (DN)
   # build the DN from the UserBase string and the UserKey.  A user name is
   # a "CN" or common name.  You can look this up using the csvde.exe command
   # on a MS Windows server.
   AuthzLDAPUserBase  "CN=Users,DC=mscc,DC=washington,DC=edu"
   AuthzLDAPUserKey cn
   AuthzLDAPUserScope base

   # force a login
   require valid-user

Hope this helps,
Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches at ms.washington.edu