[rhn-users] Linux LVM - half baked?

Mitch Anderson mitch at metauser.net
Fri Oct 14 14:29:46 UTC 2005

Jed Donnelley wrote:
> Redhat LVM users,
>
> Since I mentioned a minor bug in Redhat/LVM (9/28 LVM(2) bug in RH ES
> 4.1 /etc/rc.d/sysinit.rc, RAID-1+0) I've done quite a number of
> additional installs using LVM.  I've now had my second system that got
> into an essentially unrecoverable state.  That's enough for me and LVM.
> I very much like the facilities that LVM provides, but if I am going to
> lose production file systems with it - well, I will have to wait.
>
> Below are descriptions of the two problems I've run into.  I have run
> linux rescue from a CD for both systems.  The difficulty of course is
> that since the problem seems to be in the LVM layer, there are no file
> systems to work on (e.g. with fsck).  Perhaps there are some tools that
> I'm not yet familiar with to recover logical volumes in some way?  These
> are test/development systems, but if anybody has any thoughts on how to
> recover their file systems (e.g. to get more confidence in LVM) I'd be
> quite interested to hear them - just for the experience and perhaps to
> regain some confidence in LVM.  Thanks!
>
> In one system after doing nothing more than an up2date on a x86_64
> system and rebooting I see:
> 4 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
> ERROR: failed in exec of defaults
> ERROR: failed in exec of ext3
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> switchroot: mount failed: 23
> ERROR: ext3 exited abnormally! (pid 284)
> ...  <three more similar to the above>
> kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> When I look at the above disks (this is a 6 disk system,
> one RAID-1 pair for /boot - not LVM - and a 4 disk RAID-10
> system for /data) the partitions all look fine.  I'm not sure
> what else to look for.
> ______________________
>
> In the other system (an x86 system) I had a disk failure in a software
> RAID-1
> file system for the system file system (/boot /).  I replaced the
> disk and resynced it apparently successfully.  However, after
> a short time that replacement disk apparently failed (wouldn't
> spin up on boot).  I removed the second disk and restarted
> the system.  Here is how that went:
> Your System appears to have shut down uncleanly
> fsck.ext3 -a /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 contains a file system with
> errors, check forced
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan
> linked list found.
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
> (i.e. without -a or -p options)
> [FAILED]
> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell;  The system will reboot when you leave the
> shell.
>
> Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue)
>
> ---------------------
>
> All stuff very familiar to those who've worked on corrupted file
> systems.  However, in this
> [...]

Not sure if you've already tried this or not, but
http://users.dslextreme.com/~craig.lawson/linux_notes/lvm.html

There are some notes on LVM.... with a possible fix:
# Verify that drive is recognized by kernel. Review dmesg. Insure that
module dm-mod is loaded. If using libata, insure that module ata_piix is
loaded (see Gentoo Kernel, Current Issues).
# pvscan. Should report which disk partitions are participating as
volume groups, and the metadata version (lvm1 or lvm2). Also try "-v",
"-vv", or "-vvv" options.
# vgscan. Should list all volume groups and metadata type. Also try
"-v", "-vv", or "-vvv" options.
# vgchange -ay volume-group. Enables a volume group.

Mitch