[rhn-users] RHN web service is TOO SLOW, and NOT RELIABLE ENOUGH, Do you agree?

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Thu Oct 20 15:09:32 UTC 2005

Why a service that we are paying so much money
for should be slow and unreliable?

My company has a change control process which necessitates that I have
to (almost daily) utilize RHN *extensively* to get things done.

RHN is *VERY SLOW*. (always, but sometimes even more than others)
It takes several seconds every time I click on something.  I am busy, I
have work to do.  Please make it faster.

Also, we have change control windows which we have to co-ordinate with
our customers and the various monitoring and operations groups in our
company and our peering partners. Installing patches and rebooting
servers sometimes requires that the usage of RHN from the servers be
done in a specific time window.  We have found that RHN is very
frequently "DOWN" and not available, or that we have to retry using it
several times to get it to complete properly.  Please, make RHN more
reliable.

I can go to slashdot or digg or yahoo or gmail and all of those
services are so fast that I've barely let up off of the mouse
button by the time the page loads.