[rhn-users] RHN changes yesterday have broken a major usability!

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 22:10:39 UTC 2005

On 9/1/05, Ben Russo <ben at muppethouse.com> wrote:
> Since I have about 75 servers to manage this makes a pretty big difference.

I can sympathize with RHN inflicted pain ... but I must say for a
large account I do find the improvements made in RHN 4.0.0 to be a big
net plus. Wading through 500+ activation keys page by page used to
consume part of my life as did wading through 400+ users. The addition
of those little search boxes made me jump for joy.

I still have a couple of complaints that are similar to yours when you
try to add group admins or set a default system group for a user. Both
still require wading through pages and pages of information. Very slow
and a complete waste of time. Actually, setting a default group didn't
used to require wading through pages, that is something I think was
broken in the process too.

> Does anyone else see this as a "breakage" in the new RHN updates?
>
> I raised the issue with my RedHat salesperson and he just said that I
> was (previously) using Mgmt module features for free, and that now if I
> want the same fucntionality that I had yesterday I have to pay more money.

I still see the same old links in those places but I have the
management module, you may have been getting a free ride, I dunno
about that. It would surely be better if changes like that were
somehow announced though so you aren't taken by surprise over night.

John