[rhn-users] aacraid driver

Doerbeck, Christoph Christoph.Doerbeck at FMR.COM
Thu Sep 15 20:50:58 UTC 2005

You need update 5 as a minimum, and then after the OS is installed ...
you need to upgrade the raid driver with the one from IBM latest
ServeRaid CD.  Otherwise you box will be extremely unstable :-)

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Charles Brown [mailto:Charles.Brown at Ticketmaster.com]
	Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:49 PM
	To: rhn-users at redhat.com
	Subject: [rhn-users] aacraid driver

	I have been attempting to install an IBM x366 with Redhat AS3
Update 4 (x86_64)  with little to no luck.  The Broadcom card is not
recognized, nor the is Adapatec SAS raid card (BIOS v5.0.0)/IBM
ServerRAID 8i controller.  I was finally able to get it to install by
using the install images of Update 4.1 (which recognizes both the RAID
controller and network card) over pxe/http, and rebuilding the installer
hdlist files to point to a AS3 update 4 distro.  The logical step to
take would be to use the working AS4 update 1 installation.  However,
Oracle has not certified AS 4 and will only provide support for AS3 at
this time.  AS3 update 5 also does not recognize the broadcom or
Adapatec raid controller.

	Using the AS4.1 boot/install, partitioning the disks with the
gui utility and installing packages, the machine boots and the aacraid
driver fails.  The host panics because it cannot find a root partition:

	 attempt to access beyond end of device
	 01:00: rw=0, want=7235939, limit 8192
	 01:00: rw=0, want 7235939, limit 8192
	RedHat/Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1.5[2386])
	  /lib/aacraid.o: init_module: No such device
	Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO and IRQ parameters
	Error: /bin/insmod exited abnormally
	VFS: cannot open root device "VolGrp00/LogVol00" or 00:00
	Please append a correct "root= " boot option
	Kernel panic

	Booting from the AS 4.1 rescue CD I am able to chroot to the
/mnt/sysimage and play with the distro.  I ran the up2date utility and
downloaded the most recent kernel and package upgrades with the same
results.  The IBM support CD contains "updated" aacraid and broadcom
drivers.  The broadcom bcm5700  drivers install correctly, but the
aacraid drivers fail with the above results.

	Has anyone had a similar experience

	Charles Brown
	Systems Administrator
	Ticketmaster / Client Systems