[rhn-users] 2.4.x kernel and File System Limits

Administrator - Roy A. Crabtree - roy.crabtree@ncat.edu - 336-334-7856 x2249 roy.crabtree at ncat.edu
Wed Sep 21 15:03:50 UTC 2005

Actually, bash(1) internal ommand 'ulimit(1)' sets the hard and soft
limits agains thrt specific limits of the OS and filesystem type; and as
you copy form one place or system to anothe, you have to know the
details on each end (about 64 combination so far with only one file
system type).

if ext3 can go above 6 TB now, then all of these thing should be tunable;
BUT:

1) You may have to rebuild the kenrel to enable them (big versus small,
argument
sizes (32 bits will not go above 2GB as a signed int, whereas 64 bits
will), limits files
at config time, limits at boot time, limits within your shell login that
set a hard limit down from the open file system size limit; and so forth.

You have to get ALL of these together before you will get truly large
thing sto move around corectly.

There are bout 20 places you may have to go to to ge this done;
including the RAID package you use and the type of hard drive you are on
and the firmware revision against your MB BIOS against which revision of
SATA or IDE or SCSI-3 you are running ... all depends.  Any of these can
foul you when going beyond the NEXT "fundamental limit"

Why 2TB in the first place?

... SOme one decided that 2GB was "it" (31 bits in signed ints); then
4GB (unsigned),
then 8GB (remember the old Win98 problems agains tthe then current IDE
BIOS tables and structures?); and so forth.

4GB to 2TB is merely one more 7/8/9/10 bit step up: do you see the
"binary think" involved?

2TB is just the latest nonsense limit buit in to cripped software that
needs to go away;
you CAN build the interface to NOT have a limit.

We just are not doing it.
DTitkemeyer at auroracasket.com wrote:

>Liz is correct, 2gb *file* limit.    Actually I had a file go past 2gb, nearing
>4gb.  It was the transferring it from one system to another when it would hit
>the 2gb limit.
>

>David Titkemeyer
>Client Systems Developer
>Aurora Casket Company
>800.457.1195 ext. 5638
>

>                      "Riley, Liz (ACHE)"
>                      <Liz.Riley at smiths-aer        To:       "Red Hat Network Users List" <rhn-users at redhat.com>
>                      ospace.com>                  cc:
>                      Sent by:                     Subject:  RE: [rhn-users] 2.4.x kernel and File System Limits
>                      rhn-users-bounces at red
>                      hat.com
>

>                      09/21/2005 09:22 AM
>                      Please respond to Red
>                      Hat Network Users
>                      List
>

>I thought it was a *file* limit of 2gb not file system..

Roy A. Crabtree
UNC '76 gaa.lifer#11086
NC A&T Fort Room 071
1601 East Market Street
Greensboro, NC 27411
336-334-7856/7/8/9 x2249

roy.crabtree <mailto://roy.crabtree@ncat.edu>@(ncat.edu
<mailto://roy.crabtree@ncat.edu>, alumni.unc.edu
<roy.crabtree at alumni.unc.edu>, gmail.com <roy.crabtree at gmail.com>)

--
(c) RAC/IP, ARE,PRO,PAST
(Copyright) Roy Andrew Crabtree/In Perpetuity