[rhn-users] Where do I get the kernel source

Kin Yip kinyip at bnl.gov
Thu Sep 22 21:45:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Actually, if you really want the RedHat
source, I read from
the http://kbase.redhat.com/faq that one needs to do just :

Since the release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 the kernel-source
package is no longer availabe as it was in previous versions.

To get the kernel source for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 type the
following as root user in a terminal:

# up2date redhat-rpm-config rpm-build
# up2date --get-source kernel
# rpm -ivh /var/spool/up2date/kernel*.src.rpm
# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
# rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
# cp -a /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9 /usr/src

Kin