[rhn-users] 2.4.x kernel and File System Limits

Doctor Khumalo doctortechie at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:37:48 UTC 2005

>>Nope. The ext3 file system has a limit of 2 TB.
>>ReiserFS, which is used by SuSe, has a higher limit.
>>

>Also, both WS3.0(2.4.x)+ReiserFS and Fedora Core 3(2.6.x)+ReiserFS with
>14TB raid are working fine here building it from tar.
>You can get tar ball  from here: http://www.namesys.com/download.html

Well, that may be. However, there is no way to distribute the partitions
since fdisk seems incapable of understanding partitions greater than 2 TB.
Using ReiserFS, you have to create one single file system. So, in my
configuration of a 6 TB RAID array (eg. 16 400MB SCSI disks), I can only
create ONE file system? That's incredibly inefficient.

I can't understand why Red Hat and the ext3 file system would stifle the
ability to use huge file system sizes. I might as well create striped RAIDs
and forget about any real redundancy. This is the biggest drawback in using
Red Hat and its journaling file system.