[rhn-users] Swap partitions on Very Large Memory systems

Brian Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Fri Sep 30 17:51:51 UTC 2005

PJ,

I went for a 4 GB swap partition for my Quad Opteron with 32GB of RAM.

Reasons:

1. The Machine is used to run large-memory, fine-grained parallel
applications and I want my user(s) to be able to use every bit of memory
they can get their hands on... This means

2. that system processes must be swapped out of RAM for user's
simulations to be able to use every little bit.  I've run into scenarios
where an app would use just a few KB under 32GB.

3.  Sometimes a job run will go over the 32GB limit for a short period
of time.  In this case, it is important to have sufficiently ample swap
space, on a separate drive no less, so that our users can have some
temporary flexibility.  I don't want a job that uses 33GB of RAM for
maybe 10 minutes SEGFAULTing just because I refused to allow swap.

Hope this helps.

-Brian Smith