[rhn-users] Installing Linux Enterprise WS

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Sat Apr 1 17:40:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 11:20 -0600, Jeff Blossom wrote:
> First time Install.
>
> I need to help with performing a clean install of RedHat.  I just
> purchased a lic.  I downloaded the Redhad Disks1-4 and source disks 1-4
> but none are bootable.  I searched knowledge base and it seems as if I
> need a bootdisk but I am unable to create the disk.

Red Hat disk 1 should be bootable. I presume you've checked the md5sum,
and know how to set your BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive. Make sure
your CD is able to boot from other bootable CDs.

If you have another version of Linux available, you can write the
boot.iso image to a CD (or dd the diskboot.img file to a USB key), and
set your BIOS to boot from those.

If you have a floppy and can boot from there, try SmartBootManager.
Don't know if it can work from FreeDOS.

As this is one way Dell is trying to break away from MS shackles, I
think many of us will be interested in your (coming) success story.

Thanks,
Mike