[rhn-users] Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - Release Schedule?

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri Apr 21 16:31:26 UTC 2006

Folks,

Red Hat has in the past said everywhere that Red Hat Enterprise Linux is
on a 12 to 18 month release schedule. RHEL 4 was released Feb 2005. That
suggests that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 should be available sometime
between now and August of this year - and therefore betas should be
starting very soon.

However, there are a lot of news reports which suggest that the release
will be closer to the end of the year. That seems consistent with the
proposed schedule for Fedora Core 6 which seems to be floating around,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule - which might be available
in September - and Red Hat engineers wouldn't be available for RHEL5
until after the FC6 release.

I realize that I won't be able to pry a RHEL beta schedule from a simple
note to a mailing list.

But I would like to hear an answer to this question:

Is Red Hat sticking to the "12 to 18 month release schedule" for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5?

Thanks,
Mike