[rhn-users] Fedora vs. Red Hat

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Sun Apr 23 00:07:11 UTC 2006

Sander Steffann wrote:
> See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-1a99791d7064a7aa4fdac4ae99694ebb2356c069

That doesn't exactly clear up the difference ;-)

There are essentially 3 differences as I understand it:

a) stable vs. bleeding edge - RHEL only incorporates packages (and
versions of those packages) that are well-tested and relatively stable,
whereas FC will generally have the latest and (not-necessarily-so)
greatest of everything (or close to it).  FC may also have packages that
don't exist at all in RHEL, because they're too new/untested.  So in
general, stuff is older in RHEL, but less likely to be broken.  Note
that broken != security holes, although all things being equal, RHEL is
less likely to have those, as well.  FC also releases once every six
months (or thereabouts), whereas RHEL releases come much further apart
(in general - and we're talking major releases, not update releases).

b) lifespan - each release of RHEL is supported with patches and tech
support for 7 years from initial release.  Releases of FC are only
patched for a year (or until the 2nd subsequent release comes out, which
should be ~1 year), though there is a "3rd-party" community effort to
maintain the older FC releases.

c) support & update mechanism - if you pay for a subscription to RHEL,
you can get phone/e-mail tech support from RedHat, just like you do for
Windows/Solaris/whatever.  And you get the RedHat Network (RHN), which
essentially means you use up2date to patch your system(s), and there is
a guaranteed service level (at least in theory).  There is no official
support for FC (though you can probably find companies that are willing
to sell it to you), and no up2date/RHN - the "standard" update mechanism
for FC is yum, which is what most people use, and the updates are
downloaded from public mirrors, for which there is no guaranteed service
level (though in practice, I find yum and up2date perform about the
same; in the past, in fact, yum was usually less problem-prone, though
in the last year+ up2date/RHN has been pretty reliable).

-g