[rhn-users] unintentional reinstallation of RedHat OS

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Wed Apr 26 02:24:04 UTC 2006

Wow, that sounds like an awesome idea - a poorly labeled boot menu
option that reformats your hard drive! ;-)

My guess would be that the option labeled "DOS" booted to a utility
partition on the hard drive that was placed there by an OEM or a system
admin.  That partition had the RedHat ISO images on it along with a
jumpstart configuration (for unattended installation).  This would be a
convenient and sensible way for an OEM to ship disks, if for some reason
they didn't want to perform the install at the factory but still wanted
to make it brainless for the end-user.  Why the installer would leave
that cryptic "DOS" option in the boot menu is beyond me, though; aside
from the pitfall you so neatly discovered, it seems like a waste of disk
space ... though I suppose if you wanted to be able to re-image the
system then you might want to keep that partition around.

"DOS" is a generic label used by the redhat installer when installig
grub (The boot loader) for "other partitons that I see something
installed on but am not sure what it is".  So I'm guessing that's why it
was called that - whoever designed the jumpstart config didn't think to
make it either ignore that partition completely or name it something
more sensible (like "CAUTION - only choose this option if you want your
hard drive wiped!")

cheers

-g