[rhn-users] Re: sata controllers

Jonathan Klay Jonathan.Klay at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 17 17:12:18 UTC 2006

Buy a new motherboard!

You can get a cheap SATA150 card based on the Sil3112 or 3114 chip that
works easy and well.  Don't get anything with the Promise chip - it
works, but insists on loading first, and  you might end up with boot
order issues.  I couldn't find any resolution for this (wanted to use
swappable disks...).

All SATA300 controllers I looked at were ridiculously expensive.

JK

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:09:21 -0500
> From: dbossung at southeast.edu
> Subject: [rhn-users] sata controllers
> To: rhn-users at redhat.com

> I need to add SATAII to a RHES4 box. I am looking for experiences or
> recommendations as to a brand/model that you might have.
>
> I do not care about RAID, large numbers of ports, etc. Just basic SATAII
> support. Trying to keep it simple and cost is a primary concern.
>
> Thanks
> Don

Jonathan Klay     <+>    NOAA PMEL CNSD
System Administrator     NOAA PMEL OERD