[rhn-users] The purpose of this mailing list

jef e jef_umd at umd.umich.edu
Mon Aug 21 17:11:14 UTC 2006

Dag Wieers wrote:
> Can someone restate the purpose of this mailinglist and put that also on
> the subscription page.
>
> A lot (most?) of the messages on this mailinglist are off-topic and
> would get better response on other mailinglists anyway. So for the
> sender's and all other subscriber's sake, can someone from Red Hat state
> the purpose of this mailinglist in order to improve the signal-to-noise
> ratio ?

I've also brought up this concern with the mailing list owners. I sent a
note to the list owners *last* August asking about this. I received a
nice note that they wanted to look into how to handle it - possibly for
fear of offending anyone. A year later, the list is still 90% off-topic.

I think that they really need to turn this into a moderated list until
it can be brought under control. I already don't have time to monitor
the lists that I subscribe to, and I find that this one is slowly
becoming useless for it's intended purpose.

Sorry to add to the noise, but hopefully RedHat will finally address
this issue.

jef