[rhn-users] Login

Cedric Porte cedric.porte at fr.ibm.com
Thu Dec 7 16:54:54 UTC 2006

Hi Dr. Laval,

Which protocol do you use to login ? SSH (port 22), Telnet (port 23) ?
I think is more efficient to block access to login for everyone except for
authorized IP.
Can you use this politic security  in your environment ?

Cordialement,

Cédric Porte
Web Hosting Technical Customer Manager
PHONE: +33 4 92 11 41 77 ( TL : 36-4177)
Email: cedric.porte at fr.ibm.com

"Philippe B. Laval" <plaval at kennesaw.edu>
Sent by: rhn-users-bounces at redhat.com
07/12/2006 17:29
Please respond to
"Discussions about Red Hat Network (rhn.redhat.com)"
<rhn-users at redhat.com>

"'Discussions about Red Hat Network (rhn.redhat.com)'"
<rhn-users at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
[rhn-users] Login

Running Linux Es 3.0.  Is there a way to configure logins so they are
rejected after a certain number of failures?  I can see from my logs that
somebody has been trying to get into my system.  They consistently (like
every few seconds) try to log in as a certain user.  After a while, they
give up and try another user.  What is the best way to handle this.  I
would like to be able to set up each account so they are blocked after a
certain number of failures.  I also would like to be able to block certain
IP addresses after a certain number of failed logins, even if they were
for different user names.

Thanks

P. Laval

Dr. Philippe B. Laval