[rhn-users] Login

Philippe B. Laval plaval at kennesaw.edu
Fri Dec 8 13:49:00 UTC 2006

Thanks to all the suggestions I got.  I am not a security expert on systems,
but I have learned some since my system has been attacked.  Hackers usually
attack a system from other systems.  When they have been discovered
attacking from a system, they'll switch to a new one.  Therefore, the IP
addresses from which they attack are never the same.  However, they can be
spotted.  Usually, the logs will show a specific IP address either trying to
log into a single account repeatedly (meaning they are trying various
passwords) or trying various accounts (meaning the hacker is trying to find
an existing account on the machine).  I was hoping (am hoping) that there is
some software who can track this.  When a login fails, the software should
be able to determine if that IP is a legitimate user who just typed the
wrong password or somebody conducting a systematic attack of the system.
Does such a protection exist?

Thanks

Dr. Philippe B. Laval
Associate Professor of Mathematics