[rhn-users] how to recover root password

Samer Azmy samer.azmy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 11:01:01 UTC 2006

Hello,

do the following

1) get Linux Boot CD (CD #1 )
2) make the server boot from the CD
3) when the boot menu comes type the following "linux rescue"
4) it will ask you if you want to mount the current OS image , Select Yes
5) you will have the old OS in /mnt/IMAGE or something alike

____

6) go to the Image folder
7) Eidt shadow file : vi shadow
8) you will find root:sdkjfskhfksjhkjsdfhks:0:0
9) please remove what is after the first : colon (that is the encrypted
password of root) and STOP at the next colon

10) reboot

user name  :root
password : (leave it blank - hit enter-)

you are there

change the password (passwd )

have fun

do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything

Merry Christmas

Regards
Samer Azmy