[rhn-users] Performance Problem SATA - 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)

Sascha Schmidt sascha.schmidt at ewetel.de
Mon Feb 20 09:46:20 UTC 2006

Hi,

i've got a big problem using RHEL4 AS. I just installed the OS on the
server but now I'm running into problems with the performance.

Every time I make load on my harddisc the system seems to run very slow.
Right now only 4 MB/s are possible on this harddisc. It seems that the
controller isn't fully supported.

Before I decided to run RHEL4 i used Debian 3.1 (sarge). There were no
problems like that. With RHEL4 my hdd has device /dev/hda ... On debian
it was /dev/sda.

Perhaps someone has a solution for this problem or can give me some
advise which configuration to change within the standard-kernel?

Best wishes
Sascha Schmidt