[rhn-users] Kernel Update Question About 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL

Bill bill at magicdigits.com
Mon Feb 27 02:18:39 UTC 2006

Michael,

Tne samba did not start in init state 3 for me when I simply changed /etc/inittab to
default start in state 3 in addition to state 5. Without research, I simply put S91smb
into rc3.d and left the original in rc5.d in case I solve the video driver issue
someday.

Samba had no effect on the video problem, but solving the video problem with the init
state 3 patch had a negative effect on Samba. You see, Samba isn't started unless in
state 5.

At your inspiring, I read the chkconfig man page and it is simply an elegant tool
which accomplishes the same task as I did manually. It seems that I am old school, and
was brought up prior to chkconfig's existance.

Yes, I see that I could do the Samba change 'properly', but since I consider the video
fix a temporary patch, I didn't spend the time other than just enough to get Samba
functional by starting it in rc3.d upon reboot.

Bill