[rhn-users] Gamin /tmp expand problem

Paul Duffield paul at its-magic.net
Tue Jan 24 21:30:51 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

New to the list here and somewhat of a newbie in Linux terms so apologies in
advance for some undoubtedly daft questions!

I have just invested in some RHE 4 x64 which looks good and I am slowly
getting to grips with it.

I have a new install including Webmin and Virtualmin (and vmware)
/tmp is being reported as too small to run any virtual servers - therefore I
need to increase its size from about 500mb (52mb free not enough)
I Increased size of Logical Volume02 by 2GB (For good measure and got loadsa
disc space)
I then apparently need to increase size of /tmp to the 2gb which shouldn't
be a problem with a resize command to the  full extent of the already
extended logical volume. (That went OK)
But when trying to unmount the /tmp file I found various processes are
running - most kill off OK with Webmin users button - kill or terminate.

But one process remains which means I can't unmount /tmp to resize it. The
problem process, gamin, which won't die short of it seems shooting it
somewhere vulnerable in the hardware apparently. I have tried everything (as
a serious new newbie here so may have missed something from "everything" ;-)
) I tried kill gamin at the prompt too - nothing happened, searched forums
till I my finger tips are raw and my eyes strained.

I can't unmount the /tmp and resize it until I can get rid of this process
and it's now holding up the rest of the project so any help would be most
appreciated.

Paul