[rhn-users] How to include Netbios lookup in standard resolver?

Scott Neugroschl saneugroschl at techfinity.com
Fri Jan 27 14:22:33 UTC 2006

I'm running RHEL 3.
I have Samba installed and configured, as a member of the local workgroup.
The RHEL box is *not* the DHCP server, the XP boxes get their IP elsewhere
via DHCP.

How can I use Netbios name lookup as part of the regular resolver process?
Google has been unhelpful.

That is, let's say I have a machine named "john".  From my RHEL box, I want
to be able to do the following:

$ ping john
[usual ping responses]

But because the name "john" is only known via Netbios resolution (nmblookup
works), I can't
do that from the command prompt.  I can't use a hosts file entry because IP
addresses are
assigned via DHCP.

I've looked at the docs for resolv.conf, host.conf and so forth, but haven't
found much help.

Any suggestions?

------
Scott Neugroschl