[rhn-users] RedHat Cluster Suite issues

Stephen Gilbert linuxelf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 17:25:35 UTC 2006

Ok, I figured it out, and just want to pass the word along to anyone else
who may pick up this issue in the future.  The deal with the system hanging
for 3 minutes trying to start up ccsd is the same problem as when the system
hung for 3 minutes trying to start up system-config-cluster.  The problem is
with the magma-plugins, not suprisingly.  I noticed that while the hang was
occuring, magma_tool was running.  A quick man on magma_tool showed that it
allowed you to list, enable, and disable magma-plugins.  When I ran
magma_tool, it showed magma_gulm.so and magma_sm.so both as being [OK].
Since I'm since I'm using CMAN and not GULM, I just did:

magma_tool disable magma_glum.so

and now ccsd and cman services both start as they should.

Also, now that cman is running, system-config-cluster recognizes that my
machine is part of the cluster, and allows the admin pane.

The problem with the dropdown panes being empty is totally unrelated to the
problem with magma_plugins.  I am accessing my server through a remote ssh
connection with X forwarding.  The forwarding works fine for the windows,
but didn't work for the dropdown menus.  I switched from using ssh -X to ssh
-Y, and the problem went away.

Hope this is of help to someone.

On 7/18/06, Greg Rodenhiser <grodenhi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a similar problem...  Ensure that each node has an entry in
> /etc/hosts for all the other nodes in the cluster (including itself).  And
> most importantly, ensure (in /etc/hosts) that the 127.0.0.1 line does NOT
> have a listing containing the host name of the host, it should be listed as
> localhost localhost.localdomain ONLY!!.  After you make changes the
> easiest is to simply reboot.
>
> On 7/17/06, Stephen Gilbert <linuxelf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We're in the process of building a small, 2-node cluster using RedHat
> Enterprise 4 and RedHat Cluster Suite.  The servers we are using are 64bit
> Quad CPU Dells.  Here is the issue we are having.
>
> When I launch system-config-cluster, I can build an initial cluster
> configuration.  However, no matter what I enter in for Node Name, whenever I
> relaunch system-config-cluster, it says that I'm not part of a cluster, so I
> can't get the management pane.  I've tried using my IP address, my hostname,
> and my fully qualified hostname.  All have the same symptom.
>
> I try to start the service for ccsd, and it hangs for a long time, then
> succeeds.
>
> [root at kpcobs2sdsit init.d]# time ./ccsd start
> Starting ccsd: [ OK ]
>
> real 3m9.990s
> user 0m36.147s
> sys 2m32.848s
>
> When I try to start cman (I'm going to be using dlm, not gulm), I just get
> a FAILED message.  Nothing is written to /var/log/messages to explain why it
> failed.
>
> Now, here's another thing.  In order to get ccsd to start, I had to
> install the RPM for gulm, because ccsd requires the magma-plugins package,
> which requires gulm.  No problem, it's installed now.  Suddenly, whenI go
> into system-config-cluster, it hangs for several minutes before telling me
> that I'm not part of a cluster.  And now, I cannot configure a new cluster,
> because all of the drop-down menus (such as the list of available nodes to
> add to a failover domain) are empty.  I've got an entry in Cluster Nodes,
> but it does not appear in the list under Failover Domains any more.  As a
> test, I uninstalled the magma-plugins package, and the list now displays as
> it should, but of course, ccsd will not start.
>
> Any ideas on where I screwed up?
>
> --
> Stephen Gilbert
> RHCE - 804006953620491