[rhn-users] Re: ReiserFS and tuning ext3

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Jun 19 00:36:24 UTC 2006

[old reply to an old post.. sorry]
On Saturday 22 April 2006 11:41, Ken Dyke wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 01:01:29PM -0400, Kvetch (kvetch at gmail.com) wrote:
> > Does anyone know why RH stopped supporting ReiserFS after Ent2.1?
>
> I certainly can not speak for RH and may be way of base but I think it
> has to do with extended attributes for support of selinux.

Well *I* heard that Red Hat was wanting to keep all vfs code in common and in
the base kernel.. and Mr Reiser refused and would not let his vfs code go
from his filesystem module.  But then we also have no other journaling
filesystems either (JFS, XFS, etc), so that lends itself to the theory that
RH is just wanting to upsell their customers to use GFS for everything.
Anyway, now even if you try to add the reiser module to the Red Hat kernel,
you'll see that Red Hat went to far as to remove all the "hooks" for even
including the module in their kernel!  Wow..  That's not cool...  You either
have to totally hack up the RH kernel manually (which often  breaks the
"patching house of cards"), or just go ahead and violate the RH support
contract and switch to a standard kernel.org kernel.  That really sucks.

I'm a big Red Hat guy myself... but I'll be the first to say that this stance
of theirs is one of their biggest mistakes (right up there with their
previous stance of leaving out the latest MySQL for licensing reasons).  Just
plain stupid and they need to give in.

Their stance kind of takes Red Hat out of the "Enterprise OS Circle" if you
ask me.  If one has fast journaling FS needs, they would be better off either
running Fedora Core, the modified CentOS kernel, or if you need the
enterprise SLAs, maybe even SLES (Novel).

Tweeks