[rhn-users] Installing MySQL 4.1.20 on RHEL4, can't get it running

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Wed Jun 21 23:38:24 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 1:12 pm, Jack Yu wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have downlosed the RPM pakcages from RHN,
>
> mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1.i386.rpm
> mysql-server-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1.i386.rpm
> perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9004-3.1.i386.rpm
>
> and installed to my system.
>
> But I can't get it running when it type:
> >>/usr/bin/mysqld_safe
>
> I get thiserror
>
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> /var/lib/mysql
> STOPPING server from pid file
> /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> 060622 03:09:22  mysqld ended
>
> Does anyone know what's the problem?  I appreciate any
> inputs.
>
> thanks,
>
> Jack
If you were upgrading from mysql-3x you may need to run
mysql_fix_privilege_tables, mysql_fix_privilege_tables  and/or some other
utility.
( I am running MySQL-Max-5.0.18-0 which I compiled and made a rpm myself on a
FC4 box and had to run mysql_fix_privilege_tables.
As I remember, I did this using alien to convert the gzip source file to a rpm
source file and installed the source. From there I compiled the source from
the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS directory using rpmbuild and installed the RPM file
located in the  /usr/src/redhat/RPMS directory. )

J Ludwig