[rhn-users] Total amount of system memory continually increases!

Philippe CAVAILLES philippe.cavailles at tlse.sofreavia.fr
Fri Jun 23 14:03:03 UTC 2006

Dear ReadHead users,
I use heartbeat software from Linux HA (http://www.linux-ha.org/) on my
Linux RedHat ES3
servers (Kernel version server1: 2.4.21-4.ELsmp and Kernel version
server2: 2.4.21-40.ELsmp
with 1Go of RAM).

I face up to the following problem:
When heartbeat is running the total amount of system memory continually
increases
(command: “free –mk” or “top – first part”) but memory used by all the
processes and threads running on
the system is stable (heartbeat too! I use the command “top” column
SIZE, RSS). The swap used is always
equal to 0ko and when I stop heartbeat the total amount of system memory
become stable again but doesn’t decrease.

And, when the full memory is used …….. The system freeze.

I don’t understand where this memory could be lost. Does someone have an
idea?
Does someone have met the same problem?

I my mind the problem is not due to the use of heartbeat softwate but
maybe to some
systems or loaded modules calls triggered by heartbeat.

How can I track the memory used by the kernel and the load modules
(event if, I think that heartbeat run in user space)?

Best regards,
Philippe