[rhn-users] Root login with telnet

Bill Watson bill at magicdigits.com
Thu Jun 29 21:10:51 UTC 2006

Thanks for all the replies! I knew I was stepping in it before I hit send.

Many of my users have to first be taught the subtle differences between
typing a delete key vs a backspace. This is both a blessing and a burden.
Bubba and Chainsaw have problems reading the keys and are convinced some of
them are spelled wrong. I am starting to think that 'num lock' should have
been labeled 'numb lock'. The only disgruntled employee that caused problems
has now 2 felony convictions for data tampering and took 10 minutes to fix
and was documented with 100 pages of logs. I didn't think she was that
stupid, but she proved me wrong.

As far as a trojan sniffer goes, with everything on switches instead of
hubs, how would one sniffer ever see the packet passed between anybody else?
>From all the network monitoring tools (professional sniffers) documentation
that I have read, switches defeat these tools from operation. How wouldn't
it also defeat malicious sniffers? If there are sniffers that can blow
through switches, then I need to get software made by these folks as the
expensive stuff isn't up to the task.

Understanding how something can blow through a switch will help me protect
against it.

I have wifi, but all (both) access points are secure.

So far my only hack (knock on wood) was when I had a RedHat machine that had
port 22 ssh open. So now I do, and I advise others to lock that down tight
as well. Without doubt, ssh port 22 is not immune.

I do not deny that some super clever trojan could eat my lunch, but as of
today I have read nothing about anything capable of reading packets that are
not directed to their port on an unmanaged switch.

I guess I consider myself a realistic paranoid. One actual example of a
switch blowing sniffer would get me to change immediately, but zero won't.

Bill Watson
bill at magicdigits.com