[rhn-users] kernel-devel

David A. Ranch dranch at trinnet.net
Sat Mar 4 19:22:07 UTC 2006

When you install the kernel-src.rpm, these sources come with a kernel
.config file that Redhat used to compile that specific kernel up.  With
that said, you can occasionally compile new kernel components against
this SRC tree and only install those few modules vs. everything as long
as all of the code dependencies are met.  I personally don't recommend
this approach.  For example, you won't be able to compile in new SCSI
controller into the kernel unless the base kernel already had base SCSI
support turned on.  Make sense?  For your netfilter example, I'd
recommend to do the following:

  1. install the kernel src.rpm for your RUNNING kernel version
  2. make sure that in the top of the kernel's Makefile, the "NAME="
variable is something unique
  3. Apply your patches to the kernel
  4. Make the entire kernel and all modules
  5. make install everything which will create a NEW kernel for you
  6. Update your LILO or Grub to boot this new kernel
  7. Reboot and use the new kernel.  If it works, good! If not, you can
fall back to the stock RH kernel

Why patch the kernel sources at all?  Maybe there is a bug fix available
for the kernel but Redhat hasn't released an official binary yet.  Or
maybe you have a new piece of HW that the stock Redhat kernel doesn't
support but the vendor offers RHEL drivers.  If you patch the Redhat
sources, you'll then have an official Redhat kernel with the drivers you
require.

--David