[rhn-users] Update question

Tim Schoenfelder tim at timschoenfelder.com
Tue Mar 7 00:22:07 UTC 2006

On 3/6/06, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Monday 06 March 2006 17:33, MJang wrote:
> >
> > One more thought, assuming you have appropriate subscriptions, you could
> > set up your own yum repository; I've had decent success with the yum and
> > createrepo RPMs from Fedora Core 3 for this purpose. You would just need
> > to "yummify" a local repository from the RHEL 4 update images. Then
> > you'd just "yum update" from there.
>

> If you use smart, there's no need to "yummify" them, as smart supports the
> hdlists on the media. http://smartpm.org

I'm amazed at the simplicity of Yum over just downloading individual
rpms.  RPM Dependency errors have dissappeared!!

http://www.fedorafaq.org/ ( go to the using yum area ... its obviously
geared to the fedora user ).

Some commands that I've used:
yum update
yum install wine
yum install xine
yum install cinerella

Its that easy, just one liners...

However, I'm not sure if using yum will update your RHEL install such
that its less stable.  That may depend on what sites you put into your
yum configuration.

--
Tim Schoenfelder
http://timschoenfelder.com