[rhn-users] Re: Installing RedHat ES 4 on IBM xSeries server

Stephen Kirkpatrick stephenk at olcinc.com
Fri Mar 24 23:06:48 UTC 2006

Larry D Sorensen wrote:
> I have a ServeRAID card. It does not seem to be letting me setup up
> anything but RAID 1. Do you know if it only allows RAID 1 for the
> first/bootable array and then will let you set up RAID 5 for subsequent
> arrays?
>
> Larry
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:17:30 -0600 Stephen Kirkpatrick
> <stephenk at olcinc.com> writes:
>
>> Larry D Sorensen wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone installed RedHat Linux on an IBM xSeries server before?
>>>
>> I am
>>
>>> getting stuck before I begin the install on setting up the RAID
>>>
>> disks so
>>
>>> that they are visible during the install of the OS. It keeps
>>>
>> telling me
>>
>>> that "No SCSI controller found". I think that I need to use the
>>>
>> ServeRAID
>>
>>> Support CD to boot but I am not sure of all of the steps.
>>>
>>> Larry

>> Are you using a ServeRAID card or the onboard SCSI controller?  If
>> it is
>> a ServeRAID card, you can do your configuration with the ServeRAID
>> support CD.  The onboard RAID feature can be managed with the
>> RaidMan
>> utility, but may need to be enabled through one of the utilities
>> available during the boot process.
>>
>> SK

My experience with recent ServeRAID cards is only with the 6i (or is it
6i plus?).  I have only dealt with single RAID 1 and 5 configurations.
Prior to loading the OS I have run the ServeRAID support CD and
configured the RAID array.  I haven't had any problems loading Red Hat
ES 3 on any of these systems.  However, I did have to make a driver disk
for Red Hat 7.3 installations - something I wouldn't think you would
need to do.

You maybe should call IBM hardware support and see if they can help you
configure the disk arrays.

SK