[rhn-users] Re: Installing RedHat EA 4 on IBM xSeries server

Marty Merrick mmerrick at idleaire.com
Mon Mar 27 15:48:50 UTC 2006

Larry,
My experience has been that we need to update all the system's firmware
before loading the OS. By firmware I mean the system BIOS, the RAID card
firmware, and the individual drive's firmware (every drive has it's
own). Even though this may be a new system, it a good idea to get the
"matching" firmwares installed before loading an OS. IBM support can
assist you with finding the correct versions. Once you get that done,
use the ServRAID CD to configure your RAID arrays, then load the OS.
We've had no issues with this procedure using RHEL 3 or 4.

Hope this helps,
Marty
--
Marty Merrick