[rhn-users] Problem initiating postgres DB

Mureika, Jonas jmureika at lmu.edu
Wed Mar 29 17:05:35 UTC 2006

I am having difficulty getting my postgres database up and running (Redhat Enterprise).  The call to initdb crashes out when it tried to create the template database:

creating directory /mnt/disk2/database/... ok
creating directory /mnt/disk2/database//base... ok
creating directory /mnt/disk2/database//global... ok
creating directory /mnt/disk2/database//pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /mnt/disk2/database//pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /mnt/disk2/database//base/1...
initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/mnt/disk2/database/"

The target directory tree has the appropriate permissions, so I'm unsure as to what the problem might be.  I don't recall encountering any obstacles when I set up a similar db on an older RH 7.1 platform.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jonas Mureika