[rhn-users] pathing correctly

dlederer at hilltowncharter.org dlederer at hilltowncharter.org
Fri Mar 31 14:22:02 UTC 2006

I'm trying to verify that Tar and Gzip are in my path
they are both in my sbin directory (/usr/local/sbin)

echo $PATH
/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/
usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin

but when I try to run perl -MCPAN -e 'install Archive::Tar'
I get CPAN.pm needs either both external programs tar and gzip installed or
both the modules Archive::Tar and Compress::Zlib. Neither prerequisite
is available. Can't continue.

Please explain how I should set up my path (in etc/profiles?) to get rid
of this error.
thanks
Dan