[rhn-users] lam-mpi

Valter Dal Bo dalbo at tesco.it
Thu May 11 11:31:05 UTC 2006

Hi All !

I have a problem with lam-mpi that did not occour on Redhat9 with lam
v.6.5.9, but now using RHEL4 with lam v.7.0.6 it does.

We use simulation packages (eg. ls-dyna) and work with biprocessor machines.
In order to take full advantage of the 64bits architecture and the OS
using the mentioned software, we need to run it in parallel mode; thing
that would be done by using lam-mpi (the software has been compiled in
the purpose of using the lam-mpi on 64bits EM64T architecture by the
developers).
To use the previous, I need to start the lam-mpi process by issuing the
"lamboot" command which should start the mpi process enabling the 2 cpus.
Well, issuing the "lamboot" I get the following message:

$ lamboot -v

LAM 7.0.6/MPI 2 C++/ROMIO - Indiana University

n-1<4268> ssi:boot:base:linear: booting n0 (localhost)
n-1<4268> ssi:boot:base:linear: finished

The above means that the process exited without enabling node1 and
therefore it fails the initialization.
I guess it could be because lam needs to have a working rsh allowing the
user to rsh without producing any kind of output.
But even after fiddling with /etc/hosts.equiv, /etc/securetty and
.rhosts files, I still get the following:

$ rsh redhat2
connect to address 192.168.1.11: Connection refused
Trying krb4 rlogin...
connect to address 192.168.1.11: Connection refused
trying normal rlogin (/usr/bin/rlogin)
Last login: Thu May 11 11:22:38 from redhat15

Do you think that disabling the Kerberos4 authentication could solve the
problem?
If so, how do I do it?

Thank you
Best regards