[rhn-users] sudo and NIS

Brad Sharpe bsharpe at mdacorporation.com
Thu May 25 15:36:52 UTC 2006

I've been setting up a network using NIS and slowly locking it down. I want
to setup users to be able to SUDO instead of logging in as root.

I started by editing the /etc/sudoers (using visudo) file and entering
%wheel ALL.=(ALL) ALL Then I added my own user account into the wheel group
and tested on the server and it works.

When I go to one of my other machines running NIS I am unable to run sudo,
I get a permission error. If I add myself to the local machines wheel group
it works. I don't want to edit every machines /etc/group file to get this
to work. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running RHEL 4 AS on the server and WS on the clients.

Brad Sharpe (bsharpe at mda.ca)
Computing Services
MacDonald Dettwiler & Associates
(604) 231-2669

"Wisdom is ofttimes nearer when we stoop, than when we soar."
William Wordsworth