[rhn-users] Unable to mount NFS share

Mathew Snyder theillien at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 09:43:39 UTC 2006

I have a server set up which I'm using to expand my Linux knowledge.  I
currently have NFS running with a single share.  The entry in
/etc/exports is thus: /mnt/inst       *(ro,sync)

I usually have to manually start NFS for some reason but that isn't
what's important right now.  After I start it I try to mount the share
to my local filesystem using `mount 192.168.4.115:/mnt/inst /mnt/nfs`.
However, this doesn't work and instead gives me the following error:
mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer

After I attempt to mount /mnt/inst and it fails I run `service nfs
restart`.  For the most part this works normally.  However, shutting
down mountd fails.  After the restart though, I can start and stop NFS
and mountd won't have any problems.  It's only after I try to mount the
share that it gets squirrely.

Anyone have any insight on how I can fix this problem?

Thanks
Mathew