[rhn-users] Unable to mount NFS share

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 10:57:46 UTC 2006

Mathew Snyder wrote:

>I have a server set up which I'm using to expand my Linux knowledge.  I
>currently have NFS running with a single share.  The entry in
>/etc/exports is thus: /mnt/inst       *(ro,sync)

So this is a read-only export. Best to mount as such. Have you run
`exportfs -a` (or some equivalent)?

>I usually have to manually start NFS for some reason but that isn't
>what's important right now.  After I start it I try to mount the share
>to my local filesystem using `mount 192.168.4.115:/mnt/inst /mnt/nfs`.
>However, this doesn't work and instead gives me the following error:
>mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer

Best to specify the type to: `mount -t nfs 192.168.4.115:/mnt/inst
/mnt/nfs -o ro`

>After I attempt to mount /mnt/inst and it fails I run `service nfs
>restart`.  For the most part this works normally.  However, shutting
>down mountd fails.  After the restart though, I can start and stop NFS
>and mountd won't have any problems.  It's only after I try to mount the
>share that it gets squirrely.

Was this restarting on the server or on the client? Do you have the
nfs-stuff available on both the server and the client? Try to mount
locally ("localhost", 127.0.0.1).

Success

CBee