[rhn-users] Problem changing port 80

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Wed Nov 8 07:22:35 UTC 2006

No, he clearly said it "will not start", not "I can't connect to it".
Plus he's trying to _not_ use port 80 ... did you even read?

Mike: the problem is almost assuredly caused by SElinux.  I can't tell
you how to "fix" it, but you can test this theory and get things working
by disabling SElinux - as root, run '/usr/sbin/setenforce 0'.  Then try
starting apache with your alternate-port apache conf.  If that works,
you can disable SElinux "permanently" by editing /etc/selinux/config and
setting the SELINUX variable to "permissive" or "disabled", so that it
won't be enforced after a reboot.  Also, there should be messages in
/var/log/messages that indicate SElinux's beef.

I should emphasize that this is just a cheap workaround; it's definitely
possible to update the SElinux restrictions so that it'll allow you to
run apache on a different port without disabling SElinux .... but I
don't know how.  ;-)

Also, this is off-topic for this list.  Double ;-)

-g