[rhn-users] Passwords generated on SUSE don't work on RedHat

Pete Masse pete at chemistry.montana.edu
Thu Nov 9 00:33:20 UTC 2006

Blowfish is the default encryption algorithm used by SUSE since right around
9.2 or so, I don't remember for sure.  Redhat uses MD5.  You will need to go
into Yast - Security and Users - Edit and Create Users, then click on the
advanced options button.  There you can change the default cipher used to
MD5.  Then change everybody's passwords.  The new hashes will be created
using MD5.  Then you can copy into /etc/shadow on your RedHat box and they
will work.  i.e. As long as they are both using MD5.  That's the trouble
shooting part.

How Suse can use shadow passwords produced with the MD5 algorithm on RedHat
even while using blowfish?   That a question for the Suse forums.

Pete