[rhn-users] kickstart repositories and sat server packages

Lamon, Frank III Frank_LaMon at csx.com
Tue Nov 21 23:48:43 UTC 2006

I wonder if anyone might have a solution/workaround to something I'd like to do regarding kickstart and Satellite server.

We have a kickstart process in place that works really well ( I can duplicate a kickstart file for the app I need, change the name and IP info, kickstart the server and have it all done in about 5 minutes) and we'd like to retain since kickstarting with sat server generated ks files doesn't allow me to easily change the hostname info and it only has provisions for one NIC (we can have as many as 4 configured on a system) so I'd have to configure the rest manually or write some convoluted interactive script.

That said, I hate having to maintain a repository for each version of the OS we run to kickstart from when all the packages are already on the Satellite server just not in a layout I can use to install from without using the sat server kickstart files. I have found that if I use the following example line from the sat server ks file (for version of the OS I'm loading) in my ks file it works fine - ONCE and only once.

  url --url http://satserver.yada.yada.com/ty/iO0wG4C5

I guess it's some sort of ticket in the sat server DB for the package list and gets removed once called - I don't really know. Does anyone know if there is a way to make this link permanent in the sat server so I can install against that package list whenever I want?

Thanks,
Frank

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may
contain CSX privileged and confidential information intended only
for the use of the intended addressee.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents
of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and  notify sender at the above CSX
email address.  Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage
caused directly or indirectly by receipt of this email.