[rhn-users] Samba and NTLMv2 don't work with RedHat

Doctor Khumalo doctortechie at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 12 14:43:28 UTC 2006

Just like the title suggests, Red Hat's version of Samba is having
difficulty with NTLMv2.

We've moved our network to force PCs to authenticate using NTLMv2 only. The
same smb.conf works with SuSe servers but not Red Hat servers. Both systems
worked with NTLMv1 and LM. After moving to NTLMv2, we can no longer access
Red Hat servers.

To successfully access the Red Hat servers, you MUST use the line

protocol = lanman2

or else Samba won’t allow the shares to connect. If I put that line in the
smb.conf on Red Hat machines, they will connect but errors pop up when
synchronizing files from a PC and I can't view files when connecting from a
Mac.  It appears that the version of Samba on SuSe (v3.0.20b-3.11) allows
NTLMv2 properly and the Red Hat version of Samba (v3.0.9-1.3E.10) does not.

The redhat-release is: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update
8)

The uname -a is Linux stroke1 2.4.21-40.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Feb 2 22:22:39 EST
2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The output for rpm -qa | grep samba is:
redhat-config-samba-1.0.16-5
samba-common-3.0.9-1.3E.10
samba-client-3.0.9-1.3E.10
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.10

The smb.conf file is shown below (confidential info left out):

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/06/24 12:18:49

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = GROUP
        netbios name = NAME
        security = SERVER
        password server = 15x.x0.x0.x0
        passwd program = /bin/passwd
        username map = /etc/samba/users.txt
        local master = No
        wins server = 15x.4x.7x.2x
        server string = NAME
        invalid users = root
        null passwords = no
        #protocol = lanman2
        ntlm auth = no
        client ntlmv2 auth = yes
        client lanman auth = no
        lanman auth = no
        domain master = no
        time server = Yes
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        load printers = No
        printcap name = CUPS

[printers]
        comment = All Printers