[rhn-users] Apache warning: DocumentRoot doesnot exist..

Stephen Gilbert linuxelf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 11:38:44 UTC 2006

A couple of things to try.  First, put your <directory> directives
inside your <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> directives.  Also, if you want
it to show directory indexes, you'll need to tell it to allow them.
Here's a sample of a virtual host directory on my server:

<VirtualHost 168.215.142.154:80>
     ServerAdmin me at myhost.com
     DocumentRoot /www/gigapants
     <Directory /www/gigapants>
        Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI Indexes
        AllowOverride All
     </Directory>
     ServerName www.gigapants.com
     ServerAlias gigapants.com
     CustomLog /var/log/httpd/gigapants-referer_log referer
     ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/gigapants-error_log
     TransferLog /var/log/httpd/gigapants-access_log
</VirtualHost>

On 9/2/06, Nirav Modiya <nirav.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> I have configured apache server for our intranet and I want to make two
> sites running on it...
> For that i have configured VirtualHost on my apache server..
> lets say the domain names are xxx.com and another lets say yyy.com
> i have configured <VirtualHost> directives by following way..
>
> **NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.x:80
> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.x:80>
>         ServerName xxx.com
>         ServerAlias www.xxx.com
>         DocumentRoot /home/xxx/public_html
> </VirtualHost>
> <Directory /home/xxx/public_html>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.x:80>
>         ServerName yyy.com
>         ServerAlias www.yyy.com
>         DocumentRoot /home/yyy/public_html
> </VirtualHost>
> <Directory /home/yyy/public_html>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> After doing this changes when I restarted apache server i got following
> warning
>
> Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting httpd: Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/xxx/public_html] does not
> exist
> Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/yyy/public_html] does not exist         [
> OK  ]
>
> I have also check the permission on the folder and public_html has 755
> permission
> I have cofigured DNS server also for this domain name and its working
> fine..
>
> And when I check the domain by opening it in web browser by
> http://xxx.com I got following error
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request.
> ------------------------------
> Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at gmslocal.com Port 80
>

> So is there any solution for this problem.....
> I really got mad...Plz help..
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
>  With cheer..
> Nirav Modiya