[rhn-users] Apache warning: DocumentRoot doesnot exist..

Stephen Gilbert linuxelf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 12:23:51 UTC 2006

Hrm.  Check your User directive in your conf file. It'll show you who httpd
is going to run as.  As long as that user has access to the directories, it
should be able to serve up pages from there.  Mine looks like:

User apache

so as long as apache owns those directories on my server, it worked fine.

On 9/2/06, Nirav Modiya <nirav.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi stephen
>
> yes its works fine with /www directory..but i want to make /home directory
> as my  DocumentRoot  directory....
>
> And i have tried by putting <Directrory> directives inside <VirtualHost>
> directives
> then also its giving error..i think its problem of permission but i have
> set it 755 for all
> /home/xxx as well as /home/xxx/public_html..
>
> should i have to set any perticular group or user to access my /home
> directory..?
>
> Then also thank you for your all pointers..
> Nirav
>

> On 9/2/06, Stephen Gilbert <linuxelf at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A couple of things to try.  First, put your <directory> directives
> > inside your <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> directives.  Also, if you want
> > it to show directory indexes, you'll need to tell it to allow them.
> > Here's a sample of a virtual host directory on my server:
> >
> > <VirtualHost 168.215.142.154:80>
> >      ServerAdmin me at myhost.com
> >      DocumentRoot /www/gigapants
> >      <Directory /www/gigapants>
> >         Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI Indexes
> >         AllowOverride All
> >      </Directory>
> >      ServerName www.gigapants.com
> >      ServerAlias gigapants.com
> >      CustomLog /var/log/httpd/gigapants-referer_log referer
> >      ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/gigapants-error_log
> >      TransferLog /var/log/httpd/gigapants-access_log
> > </VirtualHost>
> >

> > On 9/2/06, Nirav Modiya < nirav.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi friends,
> >
> > I have configured apache server for our intranet and I want to make two
> > sites running on it...
> > For that i have configured VirtualHost on my apache server..
> > lets say the domain names are xxx.com and another lets say yyy.com
> > i have configured <VirtualHost> directives by following way..
> >
> > **NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.x:80
> > <VirtualHost 192.168.1.x:80>
> >         ServerName xxx.com
> >         ServerAlias www.xxx.com
> >         DocumentRoot /home/xxx/public_html
> > </VirtualHost>
> > <Directory /home/xxx/public_html>
> >         Order allow,deny
> >         Allow from all
> > </Directory>
> >
> > <VirtualHost 192.168.1.x:80>
> >         ServerName yyy.com
> >         ServerAlias www.yyy.com
> >         DocumentRoot /home/yyy/public_html
> > </VirtualHost>
> > <Directory /home/yyy/public_html>
> >         Order allow,deny
> >         Allow from all
> > </Directory>
> >
> > After doing this changes when I restarted apache server i got following
> > warning
> >
> > Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> > Starting httpd: Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/xxx/public_html] does not
> > exist
> > Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/yyy/public_html] does not exist         [
> > OK  ]

> [...]

Stephen Gilbert
RHCE - 804006953620491